We have a fun-packed, full agenda for our June Meeting.
We all survived the rollercoaster of the California Democratic Party State Convention, where we met over a dozen presidential candidates up close and personal. We will be giving reports about our experiences and, if you went, we’d love to have you tell us what impressed you, and what didn’t.
Let’s give a big shoutout to club member Michelle Krug who was elected our Region 20 Director. Congratulations!
Our first bookclub meeting last month was a great start, combined with a Happy Hour with the Point Loma Democratic Club. But our next one will be more serious, with a discussion hopefully lead by Dr. Doreen Mattingly. The book is “How All Politics Became Reproductive Politics, from welfare reform to foreclosure to Trump” by Laura Briggs, University of California Press, ISBN 978-0-520-28191-2 (download PDF flyer).We will aim for mid-summer, probably August, based on Dr. Mattingly’s availability.
Introduction of proposed Bylaw change.
Introduction of our new Public Relations and Media Committee.
We start our 2019 Endorsement season at this meeting! The Committee has been working hard and for our June meeting here are the races scheduled to be considered for endorsement:
- Chula Vista City Council District 3* Steve Padilla
- San Diego City Council District 9* Georgette Gomez
- Assembly District 80* Lorena Gonzalez
- CA State Senate 39* Toni Atkins
- Congressional District 49* Mike Levin
- indicates these are Friendly Incumbents
To note the changes from our discussion at our last meeting:
- Dr Shirley Weber asked for Assembly District 80 to be moved to Aug, so we will
- Scott Peters – June does not work for him, so we will reschedule the Congressional District 52 meeting
- We haven’t heard back from Tasha Boerner-Horvath so we decided to postpone the Assembly District 76 consideration
And we are moving the San Diego City Attorney race to July because of the change from Friendly Incumbent as Ms Elliot now has a challenger in that race, Cory Briggs.
Next meeting we will celebrate our 5th Anniversary, with champagne and cake!
See everyone at Elijah’s —MTS routes 44 and 60. If you need a ride home afterwards, contact us beforehand so we can arrange carpools.
Come early and socialize with club members and officers. Officers are usually there by 6PM and are available to talk and answer questions.
Order dinner or a drink to sustain you, and the restaurant!